Thank you for your interest in CIRA's Community Investment Program. The 2018 application period for the Community Investment Program is now closed.
Who is Eligible?
Focus Areas & Funding Restrictions
types of projects we fund
Innovative projects that support the development and/or enhancement of the Internet for the benefit of all Canadians, including:
- Community access to the internet, internet tools, and/or devices;
- Online services for vulnerable or disadvantaged groups; (these online services must create efficiencies);
- Digital literacy and/or web safety;
- Infrastructure and internet security; (infrastructure must bring new or improved internet services to regional, rural and remote communities);
- Research focused on technological aspects of the internet;
- Knowledge-sharing activities that lead to more effective internet governance;
- Increase public participation in policy making and political processes;
- Address social, economic and/or environmental needs.
what we will not fund
- Requests for sponsorship;
- Training proposals that provide generic IT training;
- Projects whose main focus is outside of Canada;
- General fundraising appeals;
- Ongoing core operations (e.g. permanent staff salaries, administrative functions such as firewalls and intranets, etc.);
- Projects solely focusing on website development and design (e.g. graphic design);
- Retrospective costs;
- Applications seeking IT equipment for general purpose training rooms; and/or
- Marketing or research associated with marketing activities.
Our Application Guidelines outline the eligibility requirements, giving focus areas, and application process.