Hamilton, ON – February 22, 2017 – The City of Hamilton has partnered with the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) to launch an Internet performance test for the city. Residents can use the test to better understand the speed and quality of their Internet connections. The test is crowd-sourced, meaning that it produces better data with widespread participation. The municipal government and local Internet leaders can, in turn, use the data collected city-wide to create a comprehensive profile of broadband access within Hamilton’s boundaries and move to address any areas of inequality.
The City of Hamilton encourages all residents and businesses to test their connections at https://performance.cira.ca/Hamilton.
- As Hamilton prepares for the digital future, the municipal government is focused on ensuring “digital equity” - equal access and opportunity to digital tools, resources, and services to increase digital knowledge, awareness, and skills.
- The Internet performance test will provide the Mayor’s Intelligent Community Task Force with data it needs to promote its objectives, which include:
- Examining and assessing Hamilton’s IT infrastructure
- Developing a city-wide digital strategy, supported by an action plan
- Improving Hamilton’s strengths and assets as they pertain to ICF indicators
- Individuals and businesses can use the IPT to learn the quality of their own connection (including speed, performance, and adherence to standards) and use that information to help determine if they have the connectivity they need.
- By measuring connectivity across the city, CIRA’s testing methodology helps map areas with strong connectivity and those where a digital divide may be developing.
- Hamilton’s test is built on CIRA’s Internet performance test infrastructure. CIRA’s City-Internet performance test program allows local municipalities to quickly leverage CIRA’s testing infrastructure to deploy a test using the standard global M-Lab protocol.
- Test your Internet connection today at http://performance.cira.ca/hamilton.
- For more information on CIRA’s work to help Canadian municipalities address their needs to Internet measurement, visit http://performance.cira.ca.
About the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. CIRA also develops technologies and services that help support its goal of building a better online Canada. The CIRA team operates one of the fastest-growing country code top-level domains (ccTLD), a high-performance global domain name search (DNS) network, and one of the world’s most advanced back-end registry solutions.