The Internet Foundation in Sweden and the Canadian Internet Registration Authority partner to bring enhanced DNS performance and cybersecurity protection to the Swedish market
Deal extends CIRA’s D-Zone Anycast DNS to .SE and .NU users
Helsinki, FL – June 29, 2016 – Today at the global meeting of Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), The Internet Foundation In Sweden (IIS), operators of the .SE and .NU country code domains, and the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA), operators of the .CA domain, announced a deal to deliver secondary Anycast DNS services to the Swedish market.
CIRA is delivering IIS a complete white-labelled Anycast solution, allowing IIS to rapidly offer customers world-class DNS performance and enhanced protection from cyberattacks.
- The emergence of a more sophisticated set of online threats has required that domain operators support users with more advanced DNS architectures. These security concerns, combined with expanded performance demands required for modern web-experiences has focused attention on ensuring the availability of robust Anycast DNS architectures with server nodes as close as possible to end-users.
- Leveraging the backbone of its D-Zone Anycast DNS services, CIRA is delivering IIS an Anycast DNS service that IIS can then offer to Swedish customers.
- CIRA and IIS will share CIRA’s Anycast cloud infrastructure, benefiting from a global server footprint, expanded with a new Stockholm node to ensure lightning-fast query responses for Swedish and European Internet users. CIRA’s new Stockholm node will be connected to local Internet exchange points, integrating this new Anycast DNS service into the local Internet architecture.
- CIRA’s Anycast DNS platform can scale to meet the needs of new customers and geographies. IIS will have full control over this Anycast DNS service in their own market. CIRA is delivering a custom IIS web portal, IIS-specific branding, and separated customer databases. IIS plans to offer this service to its channel partners, helping to ensure every user of .SE or .NU has access to the best-possible DNS architecture on the market.
- There is strong mission alignment between CIRA and IIS, both operate top-performing country code top level domains and both have an interest in helping to support the positive development of the Internet in their respective geographies.
The Internet Foundation in Sweden, IIS, is an independent charitable organization that promotes the positive development of the Internet in Sweden. IIS is responsible for the Internet’s Swedish top-level domain, .se, encompassing domain name registration as well as administration and technical operation of the national domain name registry. Since September of 2013, we have also handled the operation and administration for the top-level domain .nu.
About the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. A Member-based organization, CIRA also develops and implements policies that support Canada’s Internet community, and represents the .CA registry internationally.