OTTAWA – May 8, 2018 – As Canadians embrace the internet as the centre of their digital lives, there has never been a better time to choose Canada online. Canadian values, ideals, and identity are central to who we are, and a .CA domain is increasingly seen as the maple leaf on the digital backpack.
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)—the non-profit organization that manages the .CA domain on behalf of all Canadians—is proud to announce its recently completed fiscal year saw nearly 538,000 new .CA domains registered across Canada. This represents an all-time high for .CA domains and demonstrates the value of the Canadian brand both nationally and globally.
- .CA domain registrations hit 537,941 in FY18 (April 2017 to March 2018); the previous high was 511,900 in FY12.
- .CA domain registrations grew 5.3 per cent in FY18, compared to the overall the domain name market in Canada which grew at 1.35 per cent as a whole.
- In a highly competitive global market, .CA is one of the fastest growing country code top-level domains (ccTLD).
- CIRA now has 2,736,980 .CA domains under management.
- CIRA manages the .CA domain on behalf of Canada and enforces a strict Canadian Presence Requirement that ensures only residents, businesses, or organizations in Canada can register a .CA domain.
- As part of its mandate to build a better online Canada, CIRA provides over one million dollars in grants every year to digital projects across Canada as part of its Community Investment Program.
- Learn more about .CA domains
- Learn more about the Community Investment Program
- Learn more about .CA Canadian Presence Requirements
About the Canadian Internet Registration Authority
The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) manages the .CA top-level domain on behalf of all Canadians. CIRA also develops technologies and services—such as D-Zone DNS Firewall—that help support its goal of building a better online Canada. The CIRA team operates one of the fastest-growing country code top-level domains (ccTLD), a high-performance global DNS network, and one of the world’s most advanced back-end registry solutions.