- Your role as board member
- Desired skills and experience
- How to join the board through the nomination committee slate
- Your contribution to Canada’s Internet
- Important dates and deadlines
Your role as a board member
The role of CIRA board directors is to help foster the development of CIRA. They provide strategic direction and oversight for the .CA domain name registry to help guide CIRA as it fulfills its mandate to manage the .CA domain as a key public resource for the benefit of all Canadians. As well, the board plays a key role in helping build a better online Canada through initiatives such as the community investment program and the development of internet exchange points.
As a member of the CIRA’s board of directors, it’s your responsibility to:
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the .CA registry.
- Help develop and implement policies that support Canada's Internet community and represent the .CA registry internationally.
- Attend approximately five in-person weekday meetings in various cities across Canada and the Annual General Meeting (travel and expenses will be reimbursed).
- Participate in committee work and associated conference calls.
- Approve CIRA’s corporate plan and annual budget
Board members are expected to serve on committees and attend board meetings regularly. Directors are remunerated for their time and reimbursed for expenses. For detailed please review the Board Compensation.
Desired skills and experience
Each year the CIRA Board of directors submits a Board Competencies and Diversity Report that outlines the skills and experience the nomination committee should be looking for when reviewing applications.
To be eligible to become a director, an individual must:
- Consent to be a nominee, a candidate, and, if elected, a director.
- On the day election period begins (September 27, 2018), meet the “qualification” requirements defined in subsection 3.03 of CIRA’s By-law No. 1.
CIRA directors are not required to be Members.
How to join the board through the nomination committee slate
Joining the board of directors through the nomination committee slate can be achieved by following these steps:
- Verify that you are qualified: we are looking for individuals with specific skills and experience. Make sure you qualify before submitting your application.
- Complete the online application: applications and resumes will be accepted through our online application system from June 5 to June 19, 2018 at 2 p.m. ET. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Committee selects candidates: The nomination committee will review each application and narrow down their list of potential candidates. Nominees may be contacted by the nomination committee with follow-up questions to help them make their decision. The final list of nomination committee candidates will be announced on August 2, 2018.
- Complete your declaration form: Once the candidates are selected by the nomination committee, they will be asked to complete a declaration form that states any conflicts they may have with current board members or other candidates.
- Campaign: Once candidates have been selected to appear on the ballot, they can begin their campaign. A toolkit, with ideas on how to promote your platform, will be provided to candidates. This includes participation in the campaign forum from September 20 to September 27, 2018.
- Vote: Members can vote for their preferred candidates from September 27 to October 4, 2018 at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Your contribution to Canada’s Internet
CIRA board directors have the opportunity to:
- Serve a three-year term with the objective of helping CIRA in its mandate to foster the development of .CA as a key public resource for all Canadians.
- Apply your skills and expertise to help develop the strategic direction of .CA.
- Gain valuable insight and experience developing and implementing policies that support Canada’s Internet Community and the .CA Registry internationally.
- Help build a better online Canada by supporting the ongoing development of the Internet.
- Have an impact on the day-to-day lives of Canadians by enhancing the quality of their experiences online.
Important dates and deadlines
Application period begins: June 5, 2018
Application deadline: June 19, 2018 at 2 p.m. ET
Nomination committee candidates announced: August 2, 2018
Campaign forum: September 20-27, 2018
Vote: September 27 to October 4, 2018 at 12:30 p.m. ET