Thank you for your interest in CIRA's Community Investment Program. The 2018 application period for the Community Investment Program is now open! Access the online application form.
Who is Eligible?
Focus Areas & Funding Restrictions
types of projects we fund
Innovative projects that support the development and/or enhancement of the internet for the benefit of all Canadians, including:
- Community access to the internet, internet tools, and/or devices;
- Online services for vulnerable or disadvantaged groups; (these online services must create efficiencies);
- Digital literacy and/or web safety;
- Infrastructure and internet security; (infrastructure must bring new or improved internet services to regional, rural and remote communities);
- Research focused on technological aspects of the internet;
- Knowledge-sharing activities that lead to more effective internet governance;
- Increase public participation in policy making and political processes;
- Address social, economic and/or environmental needs.
what we will not fund
- Requests for sponsorship;
- Training proposals that provide generic IT training;
- Projects whose main focus is outside of Canada;
- General fundraising appeals;
- Ongoing core operations (e.g. permanent staff salaries, administrative functions such as firewalls and intranets, etc.);
- Projects solely focusing on website development and design (e.g. graphic design);
- Retrospective costs;
- Applications seeking IT equipment for general purpose training rooms; and/or
- Marketing or research associated with marketing activities.
Our Application Guidelines outline the eligibility requirements, giving focus areas, and application process.